BRIEF INFORMATION OF KRISHI VIGYAN KENDRA (KVK) CHAMPHAI DISTRICT KHAWZAWL
1. Department : Krishi Vigyan Kendra(K.V.K), Host Institute(Directorate of Agriculture, Research & Extenson), Govt. of Mizoram.
2. Staff Strength : 16 nos
- Sr. Scientist & Head : 1 post
- Subject Matter Specialist(SMS) : 6 posts
- Farm Manager : 1 post
- Programme Assistant : 2 posts
- Assistant : 1 post
- Stenographer cum Computer Operator : 1 post
- Driver cum mechanic : 2 posts
- Skilled Supporting Staff : 2 posts
Name of the incumbent
Dr. HENRY SAPLALRINLIANA
Sr Scientist & Head
Subject Matter Specialist(Horticulture)
SYED KHALIDUDDIN AHMED
Subject Matter Specialist(Animal Science)
Subject Matter Specialist(Plant Protection)
Dr. OM PRAKASH
Subject Matter Specialist(Agronomy)
Subject Matter Specialist(Agro Forestry)
Subject Matter Specialist(Soil Science)
SAMSON SAIRENGPUIA SAILO
Programme Assistant(Home Science)
Stenographer cum Computer Operator
Driver cum Mechanic
Driver cum Mechanic
Skilled Supporting staff
Skilled Supporting staff
3. Overview of department work profile :
KVK, Khawzawl was sanctioned by ICAR during the year 2004 under Directorate of Agriculture (Research & Education) Aizawl, Mizoram as host Department. The Inauguration of KVK Khawzawl was done on 10th July, 2008 which came into effect from 5th Aug, 2008 with a vision to lead agricultural activity in the entire Champhai district as a nodal agency and centre of excellence for over all development of agriculture and allied sector with its sound research, extension system in coordination with ICAR Instts. , SAU scientists & line departments of the State.
It has been observed that the farmers of this area have been practicing same old traditional system with few or no modification. KVK, Khawzawl, Champhai District, felt necessary of intervening and modifying the age old practice in creating awareness ,Changing the knowledge, skill and attitude, promotion of organic farming, Integrated Pest Management (IPM), Integrated Weed management (IWM), Integrated Plant Nutrient Management (IPNM), Water Management (WM) and Identification of local breeds and its improvement in animal Sector. In view of the above problems and with technical guidance from ICAR, CAU’s, SAU’s & other institutes new and effective technology based on the needs of the farmers of the District such as introduction of Azad P3 as new Garden pea variety, Arka Rakshak & Arka Samrat of new tomato variety, Kufri megha of potato variety etc were introduced in different villages of the district. Technology on Seed Production, Multi criteria decision making for sustainable farming practice of organic farming and upgradation of existing local breeds of Cattle and pig was given emphasis through Training & Demonstrations. Besides, KVK Scientists also introduced new technology in the field of agriculture and allied sector every year through on farm testing and front line demonstrations. The overall performance of KVK and its impact to the farming community is tremendous with respect to suatainable farming practice, sustenance of livelihood and socio-economic condition of the district.
Mandates of KVK :
- Conduct ‘On Farm Testing’ (OFT) in farmers’ field for identifying technologies suitable for location specific sustainable land-use systems.
- Organize ‘Frontline Demonstrations’ (FLD) on various crops/livestock to generate production data and feedback.
- Organize training programmes to update the extension personal with recent advances in agricultural research on a regular basis.
- Organize short and long term training courses in Agriculture and allied enterprises for farmers, rural youth and unemployed women with emphasis on “Learning by doing” for higher output and to generate self employment.
- Function as knowledge cum resource centre for agriculture and allied sectors in the district.
- Production of quality seeds and planting materials for distribution among the farmers.
Objectives of KVK:
To promptly demonstrate the latest agricultural technologies to the farmers as well as extension workers of the State Department of Agriculture/ Horticulture/Fisheries/Animal science/Non Government Organizations with view to reduce the time lag between the technology generation and its adoption, KVK needs to perform the following objectives :
1. To test and verify the technologies in the socio - economic conditions of the farmers with a view to study the production constraints and to modify the technologies to make them appropriate.
2. To impart training to the practicing farmers/farm women, rural youths and field level extension functionaries by following the method of “Teaching by doing” and “Learning by Doing”.
3. To back up with training and communication support to the district level development departments in their extension programmes.
4. To Develop and organize non-formal educational programmes by way of field days, farm visits, farmers fair, radio talk, Farm Science clubs etc. as the follow up information support to training courses.
5. To Develop and maintaining the campus farms and demonstration units on scientific lines as the facilities for providing work experience to the trainees as also disseminating the latest technical know-how.
6. To develop and maintain the campus farms and demonstration units on scientific lines as facilities for providing work experience to the trainees, dissemination of the latest technical know-how and also as a means to achieve financial sustainability in due course of time.
7. To impart training to the farmers, farmwomen, rural youth and field level extension functionaries by following the principles of "teaching by doing" and "learning by doing".
8. To provide training and communication support to the line department of the state / NGOs.
4. Office location and address: Kawnzar, Khawzawl District, Mizoram, 796310.
Email : email@example.com
5. Photos with short caption: